Scrum Master is one of the 3 Accountabilities defined in the Scrum Framework as per Scrum Guide 2020. Scrum Master is accountable for the Scrum Framework i.e. help people (within the Scrum Team and the organisation) understand Scrum theory and practice. Scrum Master is a true leader who is accountable to make the Scrum Team(s) more effective.
Scrum Team has 3 accountabilities
- Product Owner
- Scrum Master
Scrum Master accountable for enabling Scrum Team effectiveness. They do that by managing the Scrum framework as defined in the Scrum Guide. They help in creating an environment where Scrum can thrive.
Scrum is founded upon empiricism i.e. decisions are made based on what is known. Empiricism requires transparency, inspection and adaptation. Scrum Master help in building an environment where transparency is flourishing, this enhanced transparency enables the right inspections and further enables the right adaptations.
However, transparency is not something that can be built overnight. Transparency requires a culture of trust and courage. To enable trust, Scrum Master ensures that the Scrum Team(s) and organisation are getting better at living Scrum Values of Courage, Commitment, Respect, Focus and Openness.
Scrum Master is also a servant leader, who serves the Product Owner, Scrum Team(s) and Organisation.
Scrum Master Serves The Product Owner
- In defining and communicating the Product Goal.
- Facilitating collaboration with the stakeholders
- Helping with techniques to do effective Product Backlog management
- Supporting in establishing product planning such as Product Roadmap, Release Planning
- All above may require some coaching/teaching/convincing
Scrum Master Serves The Scrum Team(s)
- Enabling self-management and cross-functionality
- Understnading the importance of the quality and adhering to the Definition of Done
- Facilitating Scrum events as and when needed or requested. Making sure these events’ purpose is met within a given timebox.
- Removing impediments that are beyond the self-management of the Scrum Team
- Creating an environment of safety where Scrum values are flourishing
- All above may require coaching/teaching/convincing/mentoring
Scrum Master Serves The Organisation
- Teaching/Coaching wider organisation about the importance of Empiricism, Scrum Values, Business Agility
- Helping organisation in the Scrum implementation
- Building a trusted relationship between Scrum Teams and wider organsation (stakeholders)
- Helping in building a culture where phycological safety, trust, care for people, outcome over output, product over projects environment can flourish
- All above may require teaching/coaching/convincing