Daily Scrum is one of the 5 events defined in the Scrum Framework as per Scrum Guide 2020. Developers of the Scrum Team participate in it and together inspect their progress towards the Sprint Goal and create/adjust their plan for the next 24 hrs to meet the Sprint Goal. The timebox for this event is 15 mins and the outcome is the updated Sprint Backlog.
Scrum has 5 events
- Sprint Planning
- Daily Scrum
- Sprint Review
- Sprint Retrospective
Daily Scrum happens generally at the same place and at the same time. However, if Developers feel that there is a need to change then they can/should.
This event is for Developers of the Scrum Team and they are the only mandatory attendees.
If the Product Owner or Scrum Master are also working as Developers then they also do active participation.
Scrum Master can facilitate this event if requested or needed. For example, if the Scrum Team is new in its Scrum journey. In such scenarios, it may happen that Developers need mentoring/coaching/teaching to meet the purpose of the event or keep the discussion within 15 mins.
Inspect the progress towards the Sprint Goal and adapt the plan i.e. Sprint Backlog. Developers collaboratively plan for the next 24 hrs.
15 mins irrespective of the Sprint length.
However, if the purpose is met early then the event could finish early as well.
Few Tips To Make Daily Scrum More Engaging
- Event should be held at the same time and place as consistency reduces the complexity.
- Use Visualisation techniques such as Kanban boards to represent Sprint Backlog. Such tools increases transparency about what is going on and also enable focus. If the event taking place remotely, use collaborations tools such as Jira, Trello to represent the Sprint Backlog workflow and what is going on.
- Make sure that Sprint Backlog is updated and representing the real-time picture. This enhances focus and transparency.
- Encourage Developers to talk to each other rather giving individual status to the Scrum Master.
- Encourage Developers to practice active listening. This can enhance communication and collaboration.